OSOGBO — Suspected hoodlums on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, triggering an exchange of gunfire with security operatives attached to the governor.
The incident occurred shortly after Adeleke left the monarch’s palace, where he had presented his Certificate of Return following his re-election as governor. Witnesses said the shooting lasted between 12 and 15 minutes, causing panic among residents, traders and visitors in the area.
According to an eyewitness, the attackers arrived in an unregistered Sienna bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo and opened fire as the governor’s entourage was preparing to leave the palace. Security personnel attached to the governor reportedly returned fire, forcing the assailants to retreat.
A trader near the palace, identified simply as Munirat, said the gunmen appeared to have laid an ambush for the governor. She alleged that the attackers damaged the palace’s main gate and exchanged gunfire with security operatives before fleeing towards the Ita Olokan axis along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.
The attack sent residents scrambling for safety, with many traders abandoning their wares while business owners hurriedly shut their shops. Witnesses also reported hearing sporadic gunshots in parts of the town after the convoy had departed.
Confirming the incident, the Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, described the attackers as hoodlums and said the governor’s security team successfully repelled them.
“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” Alimi said.
No arrest had been announced as of press time, while security agencies were yet to issue a detailed statement on the attack.


























